FLVC Discovery Tool Task Force (DTTF)
Welcome to the Discovery Tool Task Force wiki. Access to this wiki is limited to the members of the task force.
If you are a member of the task force and need assistance with access to this page please contact Wendy Ellis, FLVC-G, 352-392-9020 x365, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Final Reports for Members Council
Charge of the DTTF
- To develop and prioritize a list of criteria necessary for a statewide discovery tool.
- To assist the consultant in developing a Request for Information (RFI) which will be distributed to all interested parties.
- To develop and approve a method of evaluating all responses to the RFI.
- To review the evaluation and final report made by the consultant.
- To forward the final report on to the Library Services Members Council along with a recommendation on how best to proceed.
Draft RFI - Section 1 - FLVC Background
The Florida Virtual Campus (FLVC) provides access to online student and library support services, serves as a statewide resource and clearinghouse for technology-based public postsecondary education distance learning courses and degree programs, and licenses online e-resources on behalf of Florida’s public colleges anduniversities. FLVC's services include:
• Support for Florida's distance learners and institutions offering online courses and degrees.
• Online academic advising services to help students identify the requirements of their chosen degree.
• A variety of automated tools used by college and university libraries to provide services to their students and faculties.
• Online access to a wide array of e-resources, and to the library holdings of all Florida public colleges and universities.
• Support and training for colleges and universities on the effective use of services offered by FLVC.
Established by the Florida Legislature in 2012, FLVC combines the College Center for Library Automation, Florida Center for Advising and Academic Support, Florida Center for Library Automation, and the Florida Distance Learning Consortium into a single entity. FLVC operates from its main office in Tallahassee, Florida, and from satellite offices in Gainesville, Florida, and Tampa, Florida.
Appendix A includes a list of institutions and FTE counts.
Draft RFI - Section 2 - Scope of work
FLVC is interested in implementing a statewide Discovery Tool for the State of Florida’s higher education institutions and is looking for a vendor who can provide such a service. This statewide discovery tool should include:
• The ability to search for and display results from the following data sources:
o The records of union catalog holdings for all of the state colleges and universities. These records are currently housed in two shared library systems operated by FLVC.
o Harvested metadata from both internal and external databases/indexes (e.g., Hathi, CRL, local,images.
o A mega-index of e-content such as journal articles, e-books, and other related materials from a wide variety of providers that can be linked to licensed content held by any of the institutions.
• The ability to limit searches and displays to a particular institution or set of institutions.
• The ability for handoff to underlying systems for request of material from campus locations and from external institutions.
Below is set of questions developed by a task force representing both the state colleges and universities of Florida who have been charged to investigate the feasibility of implementing a statewide discovery system. While this RFI is non-binding, FLVC is hopeful that the information received by the responses will assist the organization in deciding how best to proceed. The response period for this RFI closes on July 19, 2013. FLVC may request all respondents to participate in vendor demonstrations to be held on July 24 - 25, 2013 via webcast. Vendors may have the option of presenting virtually. All questions or comments to this RFI should be directed to Rob Luetjen at email@example.com.
|Harvard University||Laura Morse||Consultant|
|University of South Florida||William Garrison||Research Univ-Council Liaison|
|University of Florida||Diane Bruxvoort||Research Univ|
|University of Central Florida||Mary Page||Research Univ|
|Florida Atlantic Univ||Jane Strudwick||Univ|
|University of North Florida||Jeffrey Bowen||Univ|
|Seminole State College||Kellie Diaz||Large State Coll|
|St. Petersburg College||Chad Mairn||Large State Coll|
|State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota||Rhonda Kitchens||Medium State Coll|
|Pasco-Hernando County Community College||Ingrid Purrenhage||Medium State Coll|
|College of Central Florida||Marian Smith||Small State College|
Communication & Meeting Tools
Collaborate for Meetings: - https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=2009453&password=M.FFA04F40B4BBCD099A4A1ACCD7FA85
- Listserv: FLVC-DISCOVERY-TOOL-TF@LISTSERV.FLVC.ORG
- Wiki: discovery.wiki.flvc.org